Have you always wanted to start a Mom blog but need help with creating one? If so, then you’ve come to the right place because I’m here to show you how.
This post may contain affiliate links. Please see disclaimer for details.
I will lay out the most ridiculous (and easy!) steps so that you can start one in less than 10 minutes!
Quick Overview –
- Find a Niche
- Find a Host
- Create a Domain
- Find a WordPress Theme
- Write, blog, and publish!
Step 1 | Find a Niche
You’ve probably heard of the term “niche” several times and wonder what this word even means. The word, “niche”, refers to the main concept that your blog will revolve around. You see, there are several blogs out there that targets a specific group of people.
There are food blogs (for food lovers), Mom blogs (for Moms), finance blogs (for those who are seeking financial advice and tips), fashion blogs (for the fashionista), sewing and DIY blogs (for the crafty), travel blogs (for those who loves to travel), and the list goes on…
However, since we are learning how to start a Mom blog today, your niche will fall under a “Mom blog”.
Information and tips you may be interested in sharing on your blog may include:
- Parenting tips
- Marriage & Relationship advice
- Finance solutions for families
- Baby care
If you think that a “Mom blog” may not be a good fit for you and would like to try a different niche, jot down a list of ideas on a piece of paper that you are most passionate about and funnel down to one main topic. The more you enjoy talking about your topic, the more it will be easier to love and enjoy your blog.
I’d hate for you to start a blog that you don’t enjoy writing about and then quit half-way, which is not what blogging is about! It should be like riding a roller coaster with a cotton candy in your hand – sweet and wild 🙂
Step 2 | Find a Host
Okay, now that we’ve got the “brainstorming” part out of the way, how do we actually put up our blog? Your next step is to find a host. A host allows you to put up your blog on the internet so that internet users can access and view your content.
This blog operates under Siteground, a web host service provider, and have had great success.
With Siteground, you can:
- Load web pages faster without worrying about traffic holdup – very important for your viewers
- Encrypt SSL certificates for FREE (which is important to have if you are planning to sell products on your blog)
- Run your blog smoothly without worrying about performance issues – 24/7!
- Simply write, blog, and publish without worrying about any service disruptions!
What’s even better is that Siteground has customer service 24/7, so if you ever encounter any issues, you always have someone there to help you.
How do we start?
After you click the link, you want to click on “Get Started” under Web Hosting.
You will find three options available: StartUp, GrowBig, and GoGeek.
As a beginner, I recommend starting out with the StartUp option so you can grow your blog and then advance if you decide you want to create more blogs. My tutorial below will be based off of the StartUp option.
Click on “Get Started” to get started!
Step 3 | Create a Domain
After you click on the “Get Started” button, you will be directed to create a domain.
A domain is pretty much the “name” that you want to give your blog. For example, my website is https://leaptomamaworld.com. and my domain is “leaptomamaworld”.
When coming up with a domain name, make sure the name relates to your niche for a better appeal. Moms (and other viewers) are more likely going to visit your blog if you have a blog name that relates to all things parenting (Mom, Motherhood, Parenting, Kids, Children, Twins, Single Moms, you name it!).
Select “Register a New Domain” and type in the name of your blog. You will find on the right-side a drop-down, where you get to choose a top-level domain (.com, .org, .net, etc…). The most popular one is “.com”, which is the same top-level domain that most blogs have out there. I recommend leaving it as “.com”.
After completion, you will be prompted to fill out your account information and then you’re all good to go!
Step 4 | Find a WordPress Theme
Woo-hoo Mama! You’ve created your first blog!
Now, we need to make it pretty with a WordPress theme. But first – what is WordPress?
WordPress is a Content Management System (CMS) that manages your website for you. With WordPress, you have the ability to write, edit, publish, download plugins to make your site glamorous, and also control your website settings. Most bloggers out there use WordPress to bring valuable content to you – such as this post!
How to Install a WordPress Theme
Log into your Siteground Account.
Under your Siteground dashboard, hover over “My Accounts” and click “Go to Admin Panel” next to your website.
You will be re-directed to the WordPress login page. Once you log into your account, you will find yourself on your WordPress Dashboard. On the left-side is a panel with a list of settings and options available. Hover over Appearance and select “Themes”.
WordPress has pre-installed themes for you to select from; however, from here on you have two choices: install one of WordPress’s theme or you may install a customized theme that cater to your needs and interests – which you will have to purchase but I highly recommend it if you want to brand your own image.
In this tutorial, we will use a pre-installed WordPress theme. Scroll down and choose a theme you’d like to install.
I will select the “Unlimited” theme and click on “Activate” to activate the theme.
Once you activate the theme, it will install onto your WordPress blog and you can modify the theme how you’d like.
To modify your theme: Head over to your left-side panel under your WordPress Dashboard, under “Appearance”, select “Customize” and you may customize your theme.
Step 5 | Write, Blog, & Post!
Now that we’ve installed your WordPress theme, start organizing a list of ideas you’d like to write about and publish those ideas! Whether it’s about marriage tips, toddler advice, or DIY crafts, you can write about anything you want to share.
To start a blog post: On the left-side panel under your WordPress Dashboard, select “Add Post” and “Add New”.
My Top 5 Writing and Blog Tips:
- Write about informative information that your readers would find helpful. The more useful your blog posts are, the more traffic you will have.
- Use Pinterest (and other Social Media platforms) as your medium to reach out to a bigger audience (Sign up for your FREE Pinterest Business Acccount here).
- Use pretty and eye-catching pins to catch your readers’ attention. Pins are used to bring readers to your blog page. Create pins via Canva. It’s FREE!
- Be real and true to yourself in your blog posts. Your readers will be able to connect with you more and will more likely read your other content.
- Create an email list for your readers! With an email list, you are giving your readers the opportunity to be part of your own community where you can share information directly with your subscribers. I use ConverKit as my email marketing management system and it works great! I can send out emails directly to my subscribers, create email forms and place them on my blog, and set automations to automatically send out emails without me having to do anything! Grab your free trial here.
Now that you’ve created your Mom blog, write away Mama!
Oh, and one more thing.
If you found this post useful, please share? I even have pretty pins for you!